Article one: Study: Medical hype is not all media's fault
I find it interesting that medical studies are being released before the studies are truly completed and verified. I can even of a few instances when I have heard a study and considered the implications of the results on my own habits—only to hear the statements issued were later proven false. It’s come the point that I don’t trust many medical studies anymore. I figure something is bound to kill me eventually. As long as I am living my life in the healthiest way I know how, I’m already taking the best preventative measures I can.
Article two: 'Green' claims by marketers go unchecked
I have been impressed by the number of “Green” products to hit the market lately. I thought this was a good thing, but have often questioned how “Green” these products are. Regardless of my skepticism, I had bought into the idea that if a company made claims on its label, then that company had to back up their statements (at least on claims that went beyond opinions and were supposed to be based on verifiable facts), or that would be false advertising. It would seem that my assumptions are somewhat lacking. If no one is checking these claims, and no one is holding companies responsible for false claims that are being found, then what’s to stop a company from printing false information on their labels?
These articles lead me to question the validity of the sources our news media receive information from. In a world of misinformation, where does one go from “solid facts”? Today we discussed the fact that news is often distorted due to point of view. This distortion is further added to as facts are omitted, or lost in the rush to meet deadlines. Tracing information to its source is sure to expose additional holes in this already flawed system. If one source of information is admittedly tainted, it stands to reason that numerous others are as well. The news that is presented to the general public is filtered through numerous lenses. Each lens sifts away various aspects of each recent event. The stories of events with any residual meaning left after this cycle is complete are gathered together to create the few, easily packaged and sold pieces we receive.
Wednesday, July 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I think this idea of companines being green is what I'll do for my final project. Are they really making positive environmental changes or are they just telling us that they are? Is there a real or only perceived shift? Sun Chips is an example I've got stuck in my head. I can't wait to get closer to the truth of this issue! Good post; thanks!
ReplyDelete