Monday, July 6, 2009

Readings for Tuesday

Article one: Meme Warfare in the Movies
I remember seeing Munich with my husband. We rarely watch movies, but were particularly interested in seeing this one since we knew some of the history surrounding the events of those Olympic Games. I had honestly not considered the timing of that movies release, or its overarching message. A strategically placed shot of the twin towers would carry a great deal of emotional sway. It seems clearly strategic to me now.
Article two: The Brand Story Web Marketing Process
I can think of so many commercials that fit into the story format mentioned in this article. What amuses me the most is thinking over the villains that are depicted; with insurance companies it may be a flood or a hit and run driver, with Subway its fast food chains. There is often a villain. I’ve noticed the storyline approach before, but never really thought about how prevalent it is in our media.
Article three: Mouse-ke-fear
This article reminded me of the rBGH story that was described on the Corporation. In both cases “higher powers” swooped down to save themselves using political leverage. I found the Bovine Growth Hormone story’s death disturbing because of the health implications to the population. I find the Walt Disney story disturbing because in addition to ignoring the negligence of that company towards its consumers, it is clearly an issue of the parent company dictating what is portrayed in the news. However both stories beg the question: what other news is being hidden from us?
Article four: The Medium Is the Soup Commercial
It seems to me that our society has been growing increasingly commercialized since I can remember. It has been a gradual process, but I have been aware of its marked increase. While I don’t relish the thought or reality of it, product placement in the nightly news, soap operas, and other programs seems like a logical next step for targeting consumers. I am highly disturbed by the prospect of “cranial billboards” though, are there no limits to this madness?

Article five: Commercials You Can’t Zap
I think people forget that product placement has been around since radio! Who can forget Ralphy’s disappointment at the decoded message: Little Orphan Annie says “drink your oval tine”? Paul Harvey’s reports tend to be laced with his personalized experiences with the sponsor’s products. TV is generally trying to sell you something. The place I find this salesman mentality most disturbing is in the news. I still fail to see how a TV show starting into a new season is going to shape and impact the world. Yet I have seen such “stories” aired.

No comments:

Post a Comment