Kilbourne's article about the persuasion of alcohol advertisements was very insightful. Early in our relationship my husband and I quit drinking for about five years. We are both children of alcoholics and felt we didn't want to risk going down that path ourselves. Before my husband deployed in January he mentioned he'd like enjoy a few of his favorite micro brew IPAs before he left, so we began consuming a wine or beer when we were out with friends.
When we stopped drinking it was as if we had been cut off from a certain part of the social world. While Craig and I never really missed consuming alcohol many of our friends and family members were actually upset at times that they could not "enjoy a drink" with us. It seemed as though they felt we were being snobbish.
However, when we came back into the drinking scene there were no questions asked. While we had changed our behavior again, no one even gave us a second glance. It was as though we had finally decided to be normal and blend in.
Moderation is not encouraged in alcohol ads. The message sent is that you need to drink enough to be buzzed in order to really enjoy your alcohol. If you're buzzed, you're probably a bit drunk. If you're a bit drunk, getting more drunk sounds just fine! In these ads people are loose and relaxed, and a complete ease with life so they can truly enjoy the situation. Having been sober at many a social gathering, I can say that these moments of alcohol induced ease rarely exist outside the advertising world.
The Last two articles provided a bit of background on how this course was designed. I would like to revisit these articles when I have more time to read them thoroughly. I can see where the seven questions could be used as a framework from which analyze ones own stance on media literacy. I am still developing my own philosophy on this matter. I agree with the author's statement that students should directed by an inquiry approach. I can see where the typical teacher led facilamanipulation approach is not appropriate in media literacy. However, even teachers are humans. As humans we have our own ideas and values. It will be very difficult not not impose these values on our students-- even in subtle ways.
The goal of giving the students tools with which to analyze and deconstruct media messages seems in line with my personal philosophies as a teacher. If we truly wish to promote the democratic principles on which this country was founded I see media literacy as essential to education on many levels. Such analysis would help build the higher level critical thinking skills that seem to be declining in our society. With increased analysis comes more informed citizens. It stands to reason that if the citizens are more informed they will also be more active and willing to participate. However, I feel I need a period of gestation before I can formalize my thoughts and approaches to this matter from an instructor's standpoint.
On an aside-- I liked the term "media diet", however I felt a subcategory of diets needed to be added to the list. When I think about this term on a smaller scale (in my own life), I think I have a TV-intolerance diet, or perhaps I'm a recovering TVohlic: I can't sit in a room with a TV without being completely sucked in, therefore I don't own a TV. It always amazes me that people think I must be totally disconnected from pop culture for this reason. I always point out that I am still completely aware of what shows are on TV and who's the latest "thing". You can't avoid media.
Friday, July 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment