Wednesday, July 15, 2009

While images have been used for communication and recording information since the first early humans etched on rock walls, never before have images been so prolific and essentially unavoidable. The sources and their meanings have multiplied to almost unimaginable numbers. I find the statement that “myths have become a substitute for the search for meaning which other generations sought in more expansive and significant ways” to be a striking truth. If we look at how our population is so easily swayed by strategically placed images (that carry myths), this statement seems painfully simple and yet to the point.

The article Skin Tones and Racial Stereotypes raises an important issue. I do believe that these prejudices still exist, and perhaps more dangerously, that few people are aware of them. My own personal awareness of this matter became heightened when I had to relocate to Alabama for a year. While I have traveled quite a bit, I have lived in Oregon all my life other than this experience. I took it for granted that racial issues were resolved because they generally appear so mild in the Northwest.

After being exposed to the racial tension that persist in the south I began to question whether the Yankees were doing much better at breaking down racial boundaries. The answer I settled upon is no. From what I have seen we tend to avoid talking about issues relating to race. When we do address such issues it is usually presented as a “special feature” or side conversation. Very rarely are racial issues spoken of in the direct and frank manner in which they should be called out addressed. It simply makes people too uncomfortable to look at how little has changed.

That being said, I would have liked a clearer definition of “Afrocentric facial features” in the final article. It seems that such a term is in and of itself stereotyping. I’m not sure I fully understood the intent of this article due in part to a lack of understanding of this very key definition.

2 comments:

  1. This is a really interesting question. I did a quick search online and don't immediately find a definition of "Afrocentric facial features." I do, however, remember reading a study about this some time ago having to do with people identifying racial facial features. I believe this article is using the term to refer to those characteristics that we typically associate with African or African American faces -- i.e. generalizations or stereotypes. I don't believe the term itself is a stereotype, but that the term is referring to the set of characteristics our culture has built as our stereotype of the Afrocentric face. Which makes the article particularly ominous. Essentially it is saying that we are using stereotypes of both body types and racial behaviors to make decisions on peoples' lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, that adds some clarity. I think I was confused in part due to the pictures that ran down the side of the article. I wasn't sure which facial features I was to be looking at since the pictures seemed to show Eurocentric features and Afrocentric features on men of both races.

    ReplyDelete