It would seem that every product, company, and show has its own theme song. A musical branding for the ear that creates instant product recognition.
Jingles are still frequently used for advertising toys and TV shows that target younger audiences. In fact, many TV shows have a jingle like song as an intro and closing piece. These small snippets are highly affective due to their simplicity and repetitive, rhythmic nature. They get stuck in our heads and then we think of them whenever we see the product, or think of the product every time we hear that simple song.
I am sad to say I have fallen pray to the jingle! I was in Safeway after Christmas last year and was looking at some clearance stuff when I saw a bunch of retro toys brought in for the holidays. There amongst the twisters and strawberry shortcakes I saw it—a Monchhichi, my favorite toy as a child. Instantly the song “Monchhi chi, Monchhichi, oh so soft and cuddly” went through my head.
I bought the damned thing. It was completely senseless; I knew that even as I walked down the isle towards the cash register wearing a stupid grim with that stuffed monkey in my hand. I had no use for it them and I still don’t. It occupies space in my ‘future child’s” bedroom along with all the other stuff that this nonexistent kid will someday play with. This was a well rounded sickening experience that still makes me smile to think about.
The more recent use of pop songs as jingles seems at least equally as affective as the cheesy jingles of the past and present. These songs may already be popular and thus create a connection between the product and a well known song that is recalled every time the song is heard. Classic rock or oldies may be used to create a nostalgic tie or promote a certain reputation. The pop songs are also often seen as less hokey than traditional jingles.
Of the ads presented, the ones featuring the stewardesses were the most striking to me. I remember having the opinion that stewardesses were slutty when I was very young, but now that I look back I can’t recall where that idea came from. As I looked at those airline ads I began to question if they had somehow reached me through my parents and the opinions of the general public at that time. Initially I thought they were ridiculously outdated and that nothing like that would “fly” these days. Then I remembered the green M&M pole dance add someone talked about in class. Is that really very different? The M&M isn’t trying to sell airline tickets, but the ad is still clearly objectifying women.
Really I found it pretty lame: HYPERLINK "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKnCLHX6X4k"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKnCLHX6X4k
And this one was equally disturbing: HYPERLINK "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37OhDSH9dpw&feature=PlayList&p=58A8F94B99B8C3B1&index=2&playnext=2&playnext_from=PL"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37OhDSH9dpw&feature=PlayList&p=58A8F94B99B8C3B1&index=2&playnext=2&playnext_from=PL
Some of the gender roles seemed a bit overdone; however I still think gender roles are reinforced inour society; they ahve only been toned down, or broken on occasion.

That's funny -- I've never even heard of Monchhichi. Guess my kids were a different age or not interested.
ReplyDeleteI've always found the green M&M advertisements confusing, but after discovering the green M&M as an aphrodisiac myth it all makes sense. I find it a lot more humorous knowing the story behind it. All rather tongue in cheek.