Tuesday, July 14, 2009

It makes sense that we tune out the signs that surround us—if we constantly looked at images and mentally noted “that is the image of a cow, and not an actual cow” would the world really be a different place?  On some level it seems we do this already.  However, there is a danger that exists when you allow yourself to be led by whatever is brought to mind an in association with a particular image.  

Often we are sold products based on the associations and implied meaning of the products.  This is certainly true with “eco-friendly” advertisements.  People want to believe they are doing good things for the environment, so they see these products as loving nature as much as they do.  In support of this love consumers reach out and grab the product that claims to be better for the environment.  Their thoughts are instantly rushed with all the good things they associate with this product.  They walk away feeling greener as a result of their purchase.

An extension of this essay that I read made me think of a movie I watched during a Women’s Studies course called Killing us Softly (HYPERLINK "http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1993368502337678412"http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1993368502337678412).  While many concepts were parallel between the essay and the movie, I found the mention of the Gaze to be new idea, or at least one I had forgotten about.  After looking a little further I found this website (HYPERLINK "http://www.genderads.com/Gender_Ads.com.html"http://www.genderads.com/Gender_Ads.com.html) which deals with how many different groups of people are represented in the media.  It also held some more in depth information how media uses images of male dominance and female subordination in advertisements.  With all the progress we’ve made towards changing gender roles, it sometimes amazes me how much further we have to go. 

2 comments:

  1. This is a fabulous gender ads site! I'm so glad you posted it. Maybe we should look at some male stereotypes tomorrow. I feel like I've hit hard with the female angle.

    Also interesting that you'd already seen the Killing Us Softly video. Pretty powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The letters I had to type in to confirm my last comment spelled "decuffer." I thought that was appropriate.

    ReplyDelete